The SMHFA course takes 12 hours to complete. It can be presented in a range of formats to suit different groups. The course is presented by a qualified SMHFA instructor and quality is continuously monitored by NHS Health Scotland.
The following is a brief outline of what is covered on the course:
- guidance on being a Mental Health First Aider
- attitudes to mental health issues
- the recovery message
- the impact of alcohol and drugs on mental health
- introduction to suicide intervention
- listening skills
- understanding depression
- how to offer first aid to someone experiencing depression
- understanding anxiety
- how to offer first aid to someone experiencing anxiety
- understanding psychosis
- how to offer first aid to someone experiencing a psychotic episode.
The course does not train people to be mental health workers. It offers basic general information about mental health problems. The knowledge presented and understanding developed in the course helps to remove stigma and fear and to give confidence in approaching a person in distress.
N.B. Mental Health First Aid is available nationwide. The SMHFA is only for Scotland - please visite the MHFA course for England
Book This Course
Highest Rated Training
We are the highest rated independant training provider. Read More